Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Green Beer

Green Beer. That is all I wanted today. I woke up this morning thinking about when and where I was going to have a green beer. I knew that I wanted to meet my bestie, Marie, for spin class at 4:30, but I would be free by 5:30 for a green beer, sweaty, but when has that ever stopped someone from getting a beer.

So today, my friend, Tracie O'neil (as you can see, someone who is very excited about St. Patrick's Day) were text messaging and decided to meet at O'Blarney's (an Irish pub in Lacey), after I got done with spin class. I told her I would be sweaty and hungry, but ready to have a green beer. As the day went on, I spoke with my sister Kora and told her to come and get a green beer with us. She was all for it, as she also woke up thinking about where and when to get a green beer.

Right after Spin class I made the two minute drive from my gym over to O'Blarneys where I was met by an unusually large number of cars parked in the lot. In fact, the parking was flowing into the next resturant and the old movie theatre parking!!! I finally found a spot and ran my tired, sweaty, hungry body through the rain, only to be met by a line. Not a line to get in, but a line to get money out of the ATM so that you could pay to get in. There was also a man walking out saying to someone on his cell phone, "it is an hour wait to get food." I realized that my thought of getting a green beer in an Irish pub was quickly fading and walked away from the pub, looking back with longing, as I heard the bag pipes fire up. I was too hungry and sweaty to wait to get food!!

Thankfully, my wonderful sister was still up to grab a green beer, just at a more low key St. Patty's Day location, such as Ferelli's Pizza:) I called them on my way there just to make sure that they served green beer and was crushed to find out that they did not. However, at this point, my stomach was speaking much louder than my thrist for a green beer. So after a quick call to Kora, who had not left her house yet, we realized with a quick drop of food coloring, we could make our own "green" beer.

This was a St. Patrick's Day that was much more low key than previous years, but nonetheless, was still an Irish day with GREEN BEER!!!!!



3 comments:

Kimberly said...

You guys are dorks but also very smart. :)Wish I could have been there with you but we went to a steak house that had a bag piper instead. I drank wine--no green beer for me.

Molly said...

You Hussey sisters really know how to make things happen! I LOVE that you made your own green beer. :)

Kora said...

Mar, this blog post was too funny. Everyone must notice that we have a white napkin as a backdrop for the GREEN beer, to really emphasize the GREEN.