Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Opening Day

Last Saturday was the opening day of fishing season. My Grandpa lives on Macintosh Lake in Tenino, WA, which is where my Dad grew up. It has been a long tradition that we head out there and do a day of fishing on opening day. When we were little, my Dad would practice casting lines with us in the yard the night before, so that we were all prepared for the next day. It never failed though that we would still manage to get all of our lines tangled up and spend a good portion of the day untangling...it was funny because this year Kora and I spent a lot of time untangling Sophia's line, so I guess that tradition continues as well.

Baby Don got a lot of exercise, as I was trying to walk around a lot to get labor started:). It didn't quite work though because I am still pregnant!! I hope next year we will be able to take him out there to do some actual fishing, or at least get some pictures of him sitting on the dock. Here we are...almost 39 weeks in this picture!!!! Nothing says opening day of fishing season like some fried chicken!!! My Mom always comes out a little later in the day to bring lunch for everyone. Richie always jokes around saying that is the meal that got him to the weight he is today:). When we first got together, Richie worked out like crazy and ate SUPER healthy. Nothing greasy or fried...boring!! The first time he met my family was on opening day and that was the only food there. Needless to say, he hasn't stopped eating greasy, fried food since then:)...LOL!!

And here is the picture to prove that! HA! Which one of us is carrying the baby?!?!?!?! He is still so cute though...love that silly guy.

Here is my Dad with some of the fish. I always love hearing stories about when he was younger and would catch 40, 50, even 60 fish on opening day. Now this is what we have to show:).

My man...casting his line. He was able to pull in a few...I was pretty proud of him:).



It was such a great day and a little bitter sweet because my Grandpa is getting older and none of us were sure if this was the last year for opening day or not. I just wish there was some way we could keep the house / property in the family so that traditions like this could stay alive. There are so many great memories that we have been blessed with:).

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

It looks like you guys had a great time. Sometimes it really would be nice to live a little closer. :)

Kora said...

Richie actually said that meal made him the man he is today...very inspirational :)